[blindkid] Trekking Poles (Hiking Poles) Suggestions Wanted

Pat Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Sat Oct 20 03:41:28 UTC 2012

My daughter uses trekking poles in various ways. The cane works great on
some trails, but it can get hung up in bushes, crevices etc. Many trails out
here are quite rocky and there are often drop offs; the poles work well
because she can explore more than one place at a time, say, keep a pole near
the drop off and another monitoring the next step. Sometimes, my husband or
I will hold one end of a pole and she the other--this horizontal hold works
well when the trail is steep and has lots of irregular steps. It is also
helpful for my husband to have a bell on his trekking pole-she can hear him
in front of her and he can also point out obstacles she might otherwise miss
by tapping on them. His poles are fancy ones from REI but hers I picked up
at Walmart (Swiss Army brand) pretty cheap and they work fine. Decent poles
are adjustable in height, which is helpful.
Have fun!
pat