[blindkid] Books (Not) On Time

Pat Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Tue Oct 30 02:49:42 UTC 2012

Eric,
If you visit the following link, you will find a word doc regarding books on
time. I wrote it several years ago, but the law (current revision of IDEA)
has not changed:
nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/books_on_time_fact_sheet.doc

There is also an article that grew out of Mr. Tinsley and others' talk:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm08/bm0807/bm080706.htm

One thing we have found useful is to ensure that which ever agency is
producing the book sends volumes as they are completed, i.e., not to wait
until the entire book is complete. You'd be surprised, but then again, maybe
not....

Have you checked the Louis database at APH to see if a different edition of
the book is already available? That can also be a helpful approach for the
meantime, as sometimes editions have only minor changes. You, the teacher,
and the TVI will want to have print copies of both editions.
http://louis.aph.org/catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?cid=152

Lastly, I would insist that the district/state hire a math transcriber to
produce the needed materials.

Under IDEA, the state educational authority is responsible.

Pat