[blindkid] Fw: [Blindhomeschooler] Call for volunteers for a research study!

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sat Sep 8 01:00:18 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sonja Biggs" <teachersonja at yahoo.com>
To: <Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 7:51 PM
Subject: [Blindhomeschooler] Call for volunteers for a research study!

To moms of children with 20/200 vision or greater vision loss whose child is
currently in grades 1, 2, or 3....please consider volunteering to be in the
following study! A special thank you to the moms who have responded. I still
need 7 more!

Sonja Biggs, a doctoral student from Capella University, is looking for
volunteers for a study of mothers of children who are blind or low vision.
Dr. Amy Gaskins is the research supervisor for this study.

I want to find out how mothers of blind children teach school skills to
their blind children before going into kindergarten.  I also want to find
out how those mothers think what they do to teach their blind child at home
relates to how well they think their blind child is doing at school.

I will ask the mothers questions about how their child’s blindness has
changed the family, how school skills were taught to their blind child, and
how they think their child is doing at school today.  The interviews will be
given during three different days with each mother. Each time will be 1-2
hours.

It is planned that 10 mothers will be in this study. All mothers will be
between 25 and 55 years old. All those in the study will be mothers of blind
children. Their blind children will be in grades 1-3.

This is a chance for you to volunteer and make changes in the teaching of
blind children.  You will give helpful information that can be used to give
teachers of the blind a better understanding of how mothers relate to their
blind children.

The interviews will be given on Skype so you can live anywhere in the United
States and be a part of this research study. The interviews will be recorded
for the research. You must have a computer and the Internet to be in this
study.  Your computer will need to be in a room that will be private so your
privacy and confidentiality are protected. My computer will be in a private
room so that your privacy and confidentiality are protected, as well.

If you would like to be a part of this study, please contact Sonja Biggs at
sbiggs3 at capellauniversity.edu or call 650-833-9392.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: