[blindkid] computers as school credit

Rosina Solano colemangirly at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 23:39:38 UTC 2012

Okay, I was venting there and didn't really post all the background.  I have been trying to get the school to teach tech for several years.  So they do, but at slower than snail pace.  Like a whole month to learn to make, open and save a document.  WOW.  The TVI is not a tech savvy person and thinks that this is all so hard to learn on this foreign equipment and software.  So we just recently got the laptop and JAWS not the school, they don't have it.  We have only had it about a month.  Roman will pick it up with flying colors after just a little bit I am sure as he does with everything else.  Problem is they are looking into how to go about helping him learn this.  While they are "looking into it" Roman is failing a class that he should have been prepared for several years ago.  He still braills all his homework, then it goes to TVI for translation, then back to classroom teacher, etc. etc.  Since he can do his work this way it has been
 difficult to get the tech.  Not that I want my son failing a class, but I am hoping that this forces the issues and instead of him slowly learning with his TVI we will have to get the big guns since he is so far behind (made obvious by the failing grade).  They can't figure out why when I wanted training on the braille sense, I now want training on the laptop and JAWS, they sooo don't get it.

I have called an IEP meeting and will have some good advocates, and hopefully with the failing grade it will force the issue and no more looking into things.  Don't get me wrong they are great with braille and since the TVI dosen't have any other kids other than mine, they are lost about tech.  Maybe this is the key I need to get what I want finally.  Hope so.

Rosina