[blindkid] computers as school credit

Pat Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Sat Sep 15 15:06:10 UTC 2012

Hi Rosina,
My daughter was in a similar boat: sluggish tech training, required computer
tech class, etc. One thing we did to force the issue was to use the course
requirements to lay out what had to be done by the TVI during the year, and
put those as goals in the IEP. The goals were very specific. The tech
teacher was great at making sure the TVI knew the material and knew what
needed to be taught. The district, knowing the TVI did not have the skills,
purchased training materials to lead the TVI step by step; the materials
were from a company called DeWitt and Associates. I have no idea if this is
the best stuff out there (probably not!) and it was boring as heck for my
daughter, but it got her through the class. Because working through this
took some time (why should anything be worked out before the school year
start?), the teacher allowed my daughter to work on the class into the next
semester.
pat