[blindkid] Knowing when they should know what when

Brandy Wojcik ballstobooks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 21:33:53 UTC 2012

There are a variety of standards out there, and I'm sorry I can't think of
the exact place, but www.nfb.org has some stuff in the future reflections
publication. Also a good guide line is if the sighted kids are doing it so
should the blind child. So if a sighted kid can read little house on the
Prairie independently in print a blind child should be doing it in Braille.
If the third grader is typing simple emails, and looking up simple
information than so should the blind child using accessible tech. The blind
child often needs to be step ahead on tech stuff because they need to know
how to use it, and then how to get the information, but that doesn't have to
be. If the neighbor kids of the same age can walk to the corner and back
safely than so should your blind child. I think that while publications are
great it is most important that blind children keep to the development of
their peers.

Bran