[blindkid] Writing Essay and Reports

Bo Page bo.page at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 1 14:09:05 UTC 2013

My daughter is in a public high school in special education, which allows her to
attend school until she is 21 or 22 depending on her birthday.  She's using this
year and the next to help catch up on her English and math skills and is taking
a Foods course and a sociology courses.  The goal is to give her more practice
in writing and math.  Her TVI gives her only one hour per month, and that is
used mostly on attempting to help my daughter with her electronics--iTouch and
iPad mini.  After a year and a half my daughter hasn't gotten better at using
them and there always seems to be a problem with getting connected to a wifi.
Of course, I don't learn about these things until later because I don't get any
reports. Her para helps her with algebra and English writing; however, we do
most of the homework with her.  I'm frustrated because she's not learning skills
that will help her as a blind person, and certainly not at college.  The para
prints out some articles from the internet and highlights points for my daughter
to include on her report, but this is ridiculous.  I'm basically expected to do
the homework in order to get it done. The TVI doesn't give my daughter or the
para any direction as to how a blind person should do homework, and so the para
is left to her own devices as to how to present the material to my daughter.