[blindkid] IEP development for 3rd-4th grader

SCDUFFLEY at aol.com SCDUFFLEY at aol.com
Sun Feb 3 17:38:02 UTC 2013

It is important and VITAL to have Carol Castellanos book  "Making it Work".
 You will find a review of her book on the NFB  website.  It is the bible
to education for the visually  impaired.
_https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr19/fr05si11.htm_
(https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr19/fr05si11.htm)

Secondly, I googled the internet for information on IEP for  blind students
and found good articles and a few examples.   Here are  a few links I found.
_http://www.unco.edu/ncssd/bviIEP/index.shtml_
(http://www.unco.edu/ncssd/bviIEP/index.shtml)
_http://www.wonderbaby.org/articles/ieps-parents-blind-or-visually-impaired-
children#sample_
(http://www.wonderbaby.org/articles/ieps-parents-blind-or-visually-impaired-children#sample)

 I have been through the same thing.  ONE of  the biggest challenges was
needing exposure to peer interactions and some  daily living skills that were
very slow going.  I was able to convince my  team,  in a calm, objective
way, that my son, who is now 11, needed time at  Perkins School for the blind
(about 1.25 hrs away)  to develop these  exposures in their Outreach Program.
 They also offer a summer  program.  Do you have any services like that in
your area or 100 mile  radius?

Speech and OT can be tricky areas and we built his goals on  testing
results.  Do you have testing evidence or grades to help you for  any of your IEP
areas?

I am sure the other parents and professionals will have  some wonderful
advice as well.

It takes time, but it is well worth it.

My best,

Christine Duffley
NH

In a message dated 2/3/2013 9:37:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,