[blindkid] To Sign or not To Sign

Bernadette Jacobs bernienfb75 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 01:11:07 UTC 2013

I am a very strong opponent of blind, deaf, Autism, or any other
signage.  None of us needs to be put on that kind of display!  Only
thing this says to me is, "Walking Target!" Target!" Walking Target.
When I had my hysterectomy at an inner city hospital here, when I came
out of surgery and into my room, my husband mentioned to me that there
was a sign on my door, "Blind Patient!"  If I wasn't sick enough from
just having had surgery, I sure was sickened then.  So, my husband
tore down the first sign.  Bright and early next morning when he came
in vack in to visit me, another signed had replaced the first one.  He
went out to find that nurse.  Before long, suddenly I heard the nurse
arguing with my husband.  I forced myself up out of bed, grabbed my
cane and began walking down the hall, holding onto the rails for dear
life and simply excused myself quietly and then proceeded to waste no
bones about how that woman oughtta do something real quick.  After
all, who was her bread and butta???  I had insurance.  I didn't feel
guilty in the least.  She turned on me and I simply went back to my
room; called my doctor at his home; and Hmmm!  For some strange reason
I never heard from or saw that woman again and the sign soon
disappeared.  Then when someone called weeks after I had been released
from the hospital to ask me about how I felt about my hospital
experience, I really laid it on thick that to post blind signs, or any
other Special Needs' sign, would only serve to identify those
individuals as vulnerable walking targets and no matter what the
intent, it was truly a bad idea.  After all, Seems I actually remember
Dr. Jernigan saying once, that "The road to Hell is paved with good
intentions."  I'm sure I need not say more.

Bernie