[blindkid] Signs for Susan

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Feb 26 04:09:07 UTC 2013

Susan,

I don't see anything wrong with requesting such a sign for your child at that age, or at any age where you, the parent, feel it is appropriate.

You did a good thing. More parents should find solutions to get their kids, be they sighted or blind, out and playing in situations like that!

(How I wish they'd had jeeps like that when I was a kid!!!)

Richard

On Feb 25, 2013, at 8:39 PM, SUSAN POLANSKY wrote:

> [...]
> Sent: Monday, February 25, 2013 8:11 PM
> Subject: Re: [blindkid] To Sign or not To Sign
>
> I am a very strong opponent of blind, deaf, Autism, or any other
> signage.  None of us needs to be put on that kind of display!  Only
> thing this says to me is, "Walking Target!" Target!" Walking Target.
> When I had my hysterectomy at an inner city hospital here, when I came
> out of surgery and into my room, my husband mentioned to me that there
> was a sign on my door, "Blind Patient!"  If I wasn't sick enough from
> just having had surgery, I sure was sickened then.  So, my husband
> tore down the first sign.  Bright and early next morning when he came
> in vack in to visit me, another signed had replaced the first one.  He
> went out to find that nurse.  Before long, suddenly I heard the nurse
> arguing with my husband.  I forced myself up out of bed, grabbed my
> cane and began walking down the hall, holding onto the rails for dear
> life and simply excused myself quietly and then proceeded to waste no
> bones about how that woman oughtta do something real quick.  After
> all, who was her bread and butta???  I had insurance.  I didn't feel
> guilty in the least.  She turned on me and I simply went back to my
> room; called my doctor at his home; and Hmmm!  For some strange reason
> I never heard from or saw that woman again and the sign soon
> disappeared.  Then when someone called weeks after I had been released
> from the hospital to ask me about how I felt about my hospital
> experience, I really laid it on thick that to post blind signs, or any
> other Special Needs' sign, would only serve to identify those
> individuals as vulnerable walking targets and no matter what the
> intent, it was truly a bad idea.  After all, Seems I actually remember
> Dr. Jernigan saying once, that "The road to Hell is paved with good
> intentions."  I'm sure I need not say more.
>
> Bernie
>
> On 2/22/13, Carly B <barnesraiser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Merry-Noel,
>>
>> I've thought about this, too. There are a couple of signs on streets near
>> our own. We have not pursued trying to get a sign for our neighborhood. I
>> haven't really thought that through, I think it's just a gut feeling that I
>> don't want to put more of a spotlight on my child than there already is.
>> Know what I mean? I'm not really sure the benefits of having a sign...
>>
>> Thanks for bringing it up. I look forward to hearing what others think!
>>
>> :) Carolynn
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Merry-Noel Chamberlain
>> <owinm at yahoo.com>wrote:
>>

>>>    Hi,
>>> My daughter, Ashleah, is working on a girl scout project and would like
>>> know your thoughts about the "Special Needs" sign.  She is blind and
>>> walks
>>> to and from school independently.  Do you think having a Special Needs
>>> sign
>>> by our house is a good thing?  Why or why not?
>>> Merry-Noel