[blindkid] the strand that would not die...

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Wed Feb 27 21:43:32 UTC 2013

Hello Friends,

This was a heck of a week for your list moderators to be away!  It
was nice and warm in the Dominican Republic, but the fires on this
list seem even hotter!

A few thoughts...
    * As far as I understand it, the only reason white cane laws
exist at all is that up until the 1960s, blind people were considered
liable for any accidents they were involved with in the street by
virtue of the fact that they were blind and walking about.  It was
our founder, Dr. Jacobus tenBroeck, who argued successfully for "the
right to live in the world."   His argument became the basis of the
"disability rights" movement.
    * Regarding NFB stances--we try to bring well thought out ideas
to the attention of legislators and the public that will help to
achieve the integration of the blind into society on a basis of
equality with the sighted.  Many times one of our informal tests is
whether or not the proposed action would lead a potential employer to
view the blind person as an equal, someone who could get the job
done, someone who could become a colleague.  This thinking tends to
move us in the direction of access and training rather than accommodation.
    * Regarding the NFB and resolutions--we can all bring resolutions
to the committee.  Some will go to the floor of the convention; some
won't.  Some will pass; some won't.  But either way, no one is
required by our resolutions to leave their own free will at the door.
    * We who have been around in the Federation for a long time
sometimes can come on a little strong.  Let's all remember to be kind
and gentle in presenting our ideas, even when discussing topics we
are passionate about.
    * Last but not least, let's not get personal.  Address the issue
or the idea, not the person or his/her thinking process.
Warm wishes from your friendly local moderator,
Carol

Carol Castellano
President, Parents of Blind Children-NJ
Director of Programs