[blindkid] Family camps

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 20:27:03 UTC 2013

Camp Bloomfield is probably still doing family camps and they're run
by Foundation for the Junior Blind in Malibu. I have heard very mixed
things about that camp and don't know if or how it has changed in the
last fifteen years, so I'm a little hesitant to recommend it, but I
know it's near you and perhaps others will have insights. I personally
went to their family camp when I was ten (in 1995) and had a great
time, although I had less of a fun time when I went to the teen camp
by myself in 1997. From what I recall, this was partly just me being
twelve, and partly that they tended to show favoritism toward people
with partial sight (and weren't great at including totals in many of
the athletic activities). But I have known people who had great
experiences at Bloomfield and made lots of friends, so I think it
would be helpful if others with more recent information could comment.
Arielle