[blindkid] Psychological evaluation and IQ Testing

Carol Castellano carol.joyce.castellano at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:08:01 UTC 2013

A few more thoughts.

You may already have all this info, but just in case you don't...

Generally speaking, the ACT and SAT are the filters through which
students must pass to enter college, tho an increasing number of
schools do not require these tests.  If you feel your daughter
received a decent education and she simply has difficulty with
English & math, then college might not be the right choice, the same
as for any sighted student with similar difficulties.

On the other hand, there may be courses of study that she is
interested in that match her talents and interests that do not
require the subjects she has difficulty with.  As others have pointed
out, you will more likely find these at community colleges.

If she has difficulty with academic subjects and you suspect that her
IQ may be low or borderline, you could look into the special programs
that are cropping up at colleges for kids who wouldn't find success
in the regular academic program.  In the special program in NJ, for
example, students are on campus daily, go to classes that are
interesting, but not academically so rigorous, and mix with other
students.  I believe the hope and intention is for these students to
receive the benefits of a college experience, broaden their horizons,
find things they like to do and are good at, make friends, and
network with people who might help down the road with employment
ideas and possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Carol