[blindkid] Elementary School iPad Experience

Rick Fox richardfox1 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 20:30:55 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

I believe Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act is applicable:

According to an explanatory brochure from the Federal Department of Health
and Human Services,

"YOUR RIGHTS UNDER SECTION 504 OF THE REHABILITATION ACT
What Is Section 504?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a national law that
protects qualified individuals from
discrimination based on their disability. The nondiscrimination requirements
of the law apply to employers
and organizations that receive financial assistance from any Federal
department or agency, including the U.S.
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). These organizations and
employers include many hospitals,
nursing homes, mental health centers and human service programs.
Section 504 forbids organizations and employers from excluding or denying
individuals with disabilities an
equal opportunity to receive program benefits and services. It defines the
rights of individuals with disabilities
to participate in, and have access to, program benefits and services."

I believe The Fedral Government provides aid to schools to implement the
IDEA through the Department of Education. If this is so, the schools are
subject to Section 504.

Rick Fox