[blindkid] SSI question

Lynda Zwinger lyndaz918 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:14:01 UTC 2013

I agree.  The admonitory and disapproving tone, in my opinion, is
unwarranted.

The person who had to pay an overpayment:  this is not an intrinsic feature
of SSI.  This is a combination of an individual not understanding all the
rules and a government which all too often uses stringent enforcement on
the have-nots. Why?  Who knows?  Because it can, I imagine.

The *FR* article with its series of examples may well have served a
hortatory purpose--we all want as much independence as possible--but it was
a moralistic lecture rather than an analysis of what use our kids can make
of SSI to help them reach that goal.

I think the original OP wanted to know about the practicalities and
coverage, not about whether SSI payments were bad for people's character.

Lynda