[blindkid] feelings of blind children

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 5 00:49:49 UTC 2013

I'll echo these sentiments. I think adults get more worried about this
than the kids do (we did too).
The kids & often their classmates at that age take it all in stride & tend
not to make a big deal of it.
We did as Carol & Sally suggested.
Blind kids see & explore in a way that is different than mom or dad.
The comments by others will come up - sometimes they are comments or
questions that other kids just pose too loudly to their parents, sometimes
it is more direct.  Even adults can say some pretty stupid things.
I remember though when my eldest was about 6; a kid came up to him at the
aquarium & may a blunt comment about his cane. That launched a more
focused discussion at home. A few weeks later we went to our NFB State
Convention. What timing! The familiar sound of tapping of canes - but
magnified many-fold for a whole weekend was quite exciting. But I will
never forget the expression of excitement on his face when we piled into a
packed elevator - he first accidentally felt 1 cane, then another -> then
he actively reached around & counted 8 or 10 canes of various sized - & 2
guide dogs! It was quite a moving experience for all in the elevator. Over
the next few day a few adults let him take their canes for a spin. &
Braille everywhere, including the braille menus!
For that experience alone, I would urge you to attend convention if you
can - though I'm sure you will get so much more from the experience as
well.
Best wishes,
Eric