[blindkid] Why JAWS?

Allison Hilliker AllisonH at benetech.org
Thu Mar 7 00:31:51 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

Just a note to mention that one doesn't have to use JAWS in order to become proficient with using Windows with a screenreader. While I agree that understanding Windows and MS Office is important for future success in the business world, JAWS isn't the only screenreading solution for Windows. Serotek provides its screenreader, System Access, for free to K-12 students. And the screenreader NVDA is free for everyone. Either of these may work for a student whose teacher is reluctant to pay $800+ for JAWS.

Just my thoughts.

Allison