[blindkid] Why JAWS?

Rita Barrett atirjoybear at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 18:06:30 UTC 2013

Hi all! I am the proud mommy of my brilliant baby boy, Paul. He is only 2&1/2 but is already enrolled at our public school in an early intervention program.  He has some light perception, we did the teller acuity test at the ophomologist and they said his vision is 20/800 with glasses on.  I have been observing the discusssions here for the last month or so.  Just wondering what is the earliest age anyone has started their child with the braille notetaker? I am very unsavvy when it comes to technology. I have downloaded the JAWS demo on my laptop but am basically at a loss when it comes to trying to operate it. I only did try to get it to read me some webpages but it seemed like it would stop shortly after it started. Not sure if my lack of patience and click happiness may have been to blame or not.  Paul is already wanting to play on the computer, we go to you tube a lot and listen to different animal sounds and instruments but I definitely do
 not want to hold him back in any way.  I  have already filed my first official complaint with the school system and altho  I dont enjoy it I am more than willing to go to the school and insist he get some technology goals in his IEP if anyone thinks it is even remotely possible that
I have a chance of succeding at a such a young age?, maybe at the start of the next school year? Meanwhile any helpful hints or links on how to start learning more about JAWS would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks, Rita Joy