[blindkid] Why JAWS - refreshable braille keyboard

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Mar 7 19:12:16 UTC 2013

Hi Bernie,
School districts are required to pay for the note taker and for any
maintenance costs. It is appropriate for young blind children to learn on a
note taker because they need practice using the braille keyboard and writing
and reading braille. Given the classroom situation for many children, the
teacher and/or the teacher aide cannot read braille so the forward and
backward translation options, and the simplicity of a flash drive, make it a
very usable choice for elementary school. As students get older they learn
to use additional technology options. But, the braille note taker should be
used in tandem with the Perkins while braille is being mastered and the
computer and other I-devices should be worked on as a secondary technology
tool until the student is ready to integrate it into the school day.

The situation is quite different for adults because they are able to decide
for themselves what medium they wish to work in. Also, they have to fund and
maintain the equipment.
Regards,
Heather