[blindkid] Why JAWS?

b&s lanesims at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:58:37 UTC 2013

I just want to say to everyone here, without this group I would be completely adrift. There is a tremendous amount of enlightening information here and I'll have to read through this thread a couple more times to sort out what makes most sense for Emilia. I'm thinking that a technology assessment is the way to go if we get any push back. Yesterday I went to the district website and watched several videos of how wonderfully technology is being used in the elementary schools (for sighted and, in one case, an autistic child)….and it is, just not yet for Emilia or the other blind kids. She is the oldest in the district at the moment, so will need to be a bit of a trailblazer on the issue.

The main thing I feel strongly about is that whatever she uses absolutely needs to use braille at this point and needs to allow her to do what the sighted kids are doing. When I think of it like that, it seems so simple.
Brandon