[blindkid] 2nd into 3rd grade IEP

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Mon Mar 11 18:35:18 UTC 2013

Hi Tuesday,

Here are some ideas that might help Joey's situation:

Someone needs to determine Joey's level of functioning in reading
(Braille), writing (Braille), math concepts (mental math; working
with manipulatives), reading math (in Braille), and writing math (in
Braille).

Then, create a remediation plan that would include Braille lessons
(literary and Nemeth code), reading, writing, and math.  The plan
would take into account who will teach him, how often he'll receive
these lessons, what the content will be, and what the fastest pace is
that he could handle.  That should help in determining where he
should be placed next year.

There are details on how to make this kind of plan in Getting Ready
for College Begins in Third Grade, available at
http://secure.nfb.org/ecommerce/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=47&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=

Hope this helps.

Carol

Carol Castellano