[blindkid] homeschooling question

Sarah Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 22:57:44 UTC 2013

The quota funds are not enough to buy any assistive devices.  A few years ago it was around $250 per year.  Some states make it nearly impossible for homeschoolers to access the funds--even though the child is entitled to them.  I called APH and found out the name of our state quota fund coordinator.  I called that person directly and discussed how to access the funds.  The child has to be registered by January 1 to be eligible for the funds.  Also, the Texas School for the Blind has items that were purchased over time that were available for lend to blind kids.  In the end I did not access the funds but it did appear that it is possible in Texas.  There is also a blind homeschoolers Yahoo group that may be of some help. Best of luck to her.

Sally Thomas