[blindkid] Audio reading book for Library

Allison Hilliker AllisonH at benetech.org
Thu Nov 14 14:24:48 UTC 2013

Trudy and others,

I am one of those former 6-graders who listened to audio books instead of reading them in Braille. That was because, while I transitioned from print to Braille, reading in either media was slow and boring for me. And based on my personal experience, I do not recommend the audio option. It will 100% slow your son down in life. He won't be able to give a good speech/presentation for work or school if he's using audio notes. He won't be able to quietly skim a document during a meeting. College English will be so much harder for him if he's never touched enough words to understand spelling and other writing mechanics. HE won't be able to read a menu while on a date with a girlfriend. And he won't be able to read to his future children someday. Those are all experiences that can't be accomplished half as well via audio. Those things sound so far off now... but they're possibilities one day.

Because I spent so many of my grade school years listening instead of Braille-reading, I had to take time out before college to work on my Braille reading speed among other skills. While that training helped, I'm still not half as confident as I could be when I have to read aloud to a group. But you and your son can prevent that from happening to him.

If he complains now because Braille isn't as fast or interesting as an audio book, tell him that someday Braille will be much more fun and make him feel so much more fulfilled. That's abstract for a kid I know, but I promise you that it's true.

Does he know any other good Braille readers? Either child or adult readers could help get your son excited about Braille. Those things have helped encourage me when I've felt like I couldn't possibly get through even one more Braille page.

Best,
Allison

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM, Trudy Pickrel <tlpickrel at hotmail.com>wrote:

> So last night at parent teacher conference I find out that they have been
> allowing our son in six grade to do all audiobooks. Reason why I don't
> know. The language arts teacher said will you please consider allowing him
> to do this after I stated that this was concerning to me. Because he says I
> was reading to be enjoyable. Excepting all thoughts on this. Mine is No No
> No. Must have Braille under fingers. If their  concern is slowness and
> enjoyment the only way to get that is with repetition.
>
> Trudy Pickrel
> President Md Parent Blind Children.
> 301-501-1818
> Www.TLCbytheLake.com