[blindkid] inclusion of VI children in public school after school programs

Brandy W., with Discovery Toys ballstobooks at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:09:12 UTC 2014

Hopefully I can help you with this. The after program is not part of the
school. They let the Y use the school to make it easier on families to have
after school care. As a child who grew up in such programs and I also have
LCA although I don't have any other disabilities although I had friends, and
mostly was able to participate as honestly it is a free for all where they
let kids play, do homework and have a snack. So they are not required to
have a person.

I also happen to be a childcare provider and think your daughter would be
better served with a babysitter you hired to pick up your daughter and do
meaningful activities with after school. It will likely pay about $10 an
hour, but she won't be stressed out and upset. Places to find such a person
would be the local college of education, craigs list for other stay at home
moms, bulletin boards, and even the childcare locater in your state. I
wonder if there is another child with Autism who needs extra help and you
and that parent could share someone. As the blindness does not require your
child extra help in this environment which is why reasonable accommodations
like letting a blind child use a Braille writer, providing Brailed games etc
would be except able. They offer these programs at a low cost, and due to
this you are getting people who are practically still kids running the
program.

If you want more help finding what is right I'd be happy to help.

I agree with another poster saying if it was a club, or school activity they
would need to help your daughter.

Bran