[blindkid] Free Matter for the Blind Question

IftheShew Fits barnesraiser at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 20:56:32 UTC 2014

I don't think you need a stamp, though it might make it more "official"
looking. I think you would likely have to get one on your own (I don't
think the post office supplies it).

I mailed a letter from my son to his Braille teacher (both of them are
blind) and just wrote: "Free matter for the  blind" where the stamp would
be. It came back to us. I called our local post office and spoke with some
higher up, who apologized up and down and promised to bring it up at the
next training meeting.

Here is a link to the USPS policies on free matter for the blind:

http://about.usps.com/publications/pub347.pdf

Here is where it states that handwriting is fine:

Q: What must be marked on mail
to show that it qualifies for
mailing free of postage?
A: In the upper right corner