[blindkid] Charter School

mindy heppe prmheppe at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 20:22:52 UTC 2014

My 8th grader is in his third year of charter school after 6 years of homeschooling. It is great--all we would have gotten IEP wise from our local school and more--plus it is a small school where individuals are respected, and even before his IEP was in place, he got every accomodation he needed. He'd only been there about a month when a sub asked him, "do you need glasses?" The whole class chorused, "It wouldn't help!"
That having been said--it depends entirely on the charter school in question.
If you have a sudden urge to move to Schuylkill county PA, Yang would be delighted to have another blind kid in Gillingham Charter School! :-)
Mindy

 Hello all!  I was curious if
 anyone had their child/children in a charter
 school.  We have a new science charter school opening
 in our area and went
 to the information meeting and was really excited about
 it.  I know they
 are required to meet the requirements of the IEP, but I have
 heard of other
 charter schools, where they don't provide a braillists, one
 doesn't even
 get TVI services any longer, etc.  I don't know the
 full stories behind
 these issue's, but I was wondering if others had any
 experiences and any
 suggestions to share if we were accepted via the lottery,
 which is the
 first hurdle.

 I know all the requirements for a VI child (except I have
 two!) is a huge
 expense for any school and I don't want their to be a sense
 of resentment
 that my children are costing them the most but the idea of a
 18 child
 classroom, project  based and theme based instruction
 is very exci
 ing

 and I can see a VI child excelling in this
 environment.  I just want to go
 in with both eye's open and know what I'm getting into!

 Thanks much,
 Traci (
 mom to
 Olivia & Evan, LCA)