[blindkid] Charter School

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 03:48:25 UTC 2014

I think it will depend on your state and how the school are regulated and
how they are funded for special education services.

Charter schools have the same requirement to follow the IEP  It doesn't
mean that its all worked out.

In my state I wouldn't look to a charter school because they haven't really
figured out funding.  Charter Schools are relatively new here so they are
still figuring it out.   If there was a great school and My daughter's TVI
wasn't a school district employee than I would consider it and be a
trailblazer.  She has a great TVI and district provides great services.  In
NH the home district pays for the services but I am not comfortable that
 charter school would follow the IEP.  Also a charter school would be i
believe be an alternative placement and i don;t know if the home district
would approve it.
-Penny

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM, oandemom . <traci.mwd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!  I was curious if anyone had their child/children in a charter
> school.  We have a new science charter school opening in our area and went
> to the information meeting and was really excited about it.  I know they
> are required to meet the requirements of the IEP, but I have heard of other
> charter schools, where they don't provide a braillists, one doesn't even
> get TVI services any longer, etc.  I don't know the full stories behind
> these issue's, but I was wondering if others had any experiences and any
> suggestions to share if we were accepted via the lottery, which is the
> first hurdle.
>
> I know all the requirements for a VI child (except I have two!) is a huge
> expense for any school and I don't want their to be a sense of resentment
> that my children are costing them the most but the idea of a 18 child
> classroom, project  based and theme based instruction is very exci
> ing
>
> and I can see a VI child excelling in this environment.  I just want to go
> in with both eye's open and know what I'm getting into!
>
> Thanks much,
> Traci (
> mom to
> Olivia & Evan, LCA)