[blindkid] Refreshable Braille

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jan 15 17:44:26 UTC 2014

Many schools will allow you to “check out” the Apex over the summer as long as you agree to be financially responsible for it, and the Apex can also be used to control an iPod by bluetooth. I would ask about that first. With that said, my daughter absolutely loves using her Bluetooth Focus 40 with her iPod and iPad. The down side is they are about $2800. Freedom Scientific will also want to sell you a maintenance agreement for about $470/year. My daughter would be lost without both her Apex and an iDevice with a braille display available at this point...

Below is a link to the Freedom Scientific Web site for the unit. There are various displays you can use. Some are smaller and cheaper. One REALLY important detail about the unit from the link is that the case they supply is to carry the unit and not to HOLD it while you use it, so figure in another $100 or so to get a case that will work like the Apex case your son probably already has, where you can wear the device and use it as you walk. I think our case came from Executive Products or something similar (I can look it up if needed). With this case, she can just stick her iPod in the zippered area to use it much of the time unless she needs better sound (the case tends to muffle the sound).

http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/focus-40-blue-new-product-page.asp