[blindkid] Blind Children with Additional Disabilities

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Mon Jul 14 16:55:11 UTC 2014

As editor of Future Reflections, I would like to add my thoughts to the
"More than Just Blindness" discussion.  I try to include at least one
article about kids with multiple disabilities in every issue.  Since at
least half of all children with blindness and visual impairment have
additional disabilities, I am well aware that one or two articles per issue
is not nearly enough.  I am always on the lookout for articles by parents
and teachers that will be relevant to the concerns of families with blind/MD
kids.  If anyone on this list would like to contribute, please contact me
off list!  Here are some of the topics I'd like to cover:

Social/recreational opportunities that have been helpful
Encouraging exploration
Building language skills
Using technology
Inclusion at school
Summer activities
Developing interests into productive hobbies
Parents' reflections on raising a blind multiply disabled child
Teachers' experiences finding innovative teaching methods
Stories about or by blind adults with additional disabilities: careers,
family, living arrangements, recreation

I realize that articles about kids with additional disabilities aren't easy
to identify by looking through the table of contents.  I have been reluctant
to create a heading called "ADDITIONAL DISABILITIES," because I don't think
stories about these children should be separated from stories about other
blind/VI kids, any more than the children themselves should be separated and
isolated.  Unfortunately, though, some articles might get missed.  For
instance, the article "Frequent Flyer: Preparing Your Child for Independent
Travel with the Airlines," by Faith Rosenshein Young, which appeared in the
Winter 2014 issue, is listed under TRAVEL in the Table of Contents.  The
author writes about teaching her son, who is deafblind and has cerebral
palsy and autism, to fly independently back and forth to residential school.
Anna Wallis's article, "Finding Our Way with Grace," about raising a child
who has low vision and Down syndrome, is listed under PARENTS' PERSPECTIVES
in the special issue on low vision.

Future Reflections is a magazine for parents and teachers of blind and
visually impaired children.  That includes kids with disabilities in
addition to blindness.  Please let me know how the magazine can better serve
this very diverse population.

Debbie Stein
Future Reflections
dkent5817 at att.net