[blindkid] Focus on the children

Barbara HAMMEL poetlori8 at msn.com
Tue Jul 15 03:02:35 UTC 2014

Carlton, one thing I'm very glad you addressed here is "age-appropriate". The rest of the world tells us that age-appropriate is what your child should be doing at their chronological age. In other words, if your child is 12 you should stop watching pre-school level shows because no 12-year-old is doing that. However, your definition says that if the child is 12 and functions at a pre-school level it is okay to still be watching those shows. Am I correct? It's not his blindness that's keeping him at pre-school level, it's his other disabilities. However if that same 12-year-old who likes Sesame Street or Blues Clues but he's a just "vanilla blind" kid, you should be pushing him to watch what his peers are watching because his babyish habit makes him stick out.
So, those of us with blind, multipli-disabled children are held up to that "age-appropriate" beast, we need to remember that their blindness should not keep them back but their other disabilities do. Because when you get down to it, despite what many teachers who've not had a blind child think, blindness is really the least of their problems except that it interferes with the visual-learning process of deafness and autism.
I can definitely say that while my children fit in neither group well, they are more accepted and understood in the blind community.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone