[blindkid] More than just blindness

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Mon Jun 30 17:45:09 UTC 2014

Hi Lalena,

My heart goes out to you and to any parent feeling isolated while
doing such a hard job.  You and your child are welcome here.  We are
here for you, too, and want to hear your challenges and triumphs and
ideas, and give you support, information, ideas, and love.

As someone mentioned, most statistics say that about two-thirds of
blind/VI kids have additional disabilities (about one-third moderate
and about one-third severe), so there are MANY of us out here who
know and understand.  In fact, we usually have board members both on
our national  board and on the state boards who are parents of MD
children.  As someone also mentioned, there are not that many of us
around--families with blind kids of any kind--so sometimes we have to
reach out beyond our own community or even state to find experienced
parents and support.

In NOPBC we work hard to be there for ALL parents of BVI kids--from
babies to college age, from low vision to totally blind, from just
plain blind to severe multiple disabilities.  We do care and we do
understand.  For example, in the packet for this year's conference
registration we have an article by a parent of a totally blind little
child and one by the mom of a multiply disabled teen.  In our
workshop lineup, we try hard to have a workshop in every session that
would be helpful to those in different categories.  For MD this year
we have Independent Movement & Travel for Children with Additional
Disabilities, Hands Off! Honoring the child's right to personal space
and control over his/her body. Instructor: Carlton Walker, Teacher of
Blind Students, President, NOPBC, and Saying It My Way, Encouraging
communication, learning, and play in children with communication
needs. Instructor: Natalie Shaheen, Director of Education, NFB
Jernigan Institute.  Of course many of the other workshops would be
of interest as well.

One of the things we do which I think is really important is assist
with an approach to education and development--we don't care if a
child has additional disabilities or not--we will stand shoulder to
shoulder with the parent to insist that every door stays open for
that child, that the child gets an appropriate education, and that
the child is allowed and enabled to develop a sense of control over
his life, to whatever degree he/she can.

Please do share your questions and ideas with us--on this listserv,
on our FB page, or through ideas for articles and workshops.  We
would welcome your input.  I am glad you wrote and hope that we get
to meet one day.

Warm wishes,
Carol

Carol Castellano