[blindkid] update on what computer system your child should be using to prepare for future

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Wed Mar 19 16:57:52 UTC 2014

Richard, I agree that our students need to learn to use computers to
be successful.  You said the iPads were not as accessible to people
who are blind, in part, because you can touch type on yours.  Your
daughter could use a variety of apps and/or key boards that would make
it possible for her to be as fast or faster than you on the iPad.  I
hope her TVI is teaching those critical skills.  Your daughter, and
all blind children, need to compete with their sighted peers in school
and for the rest of their lives.  Learning to use all technology is a
big step in this direction.

I have been blind since birth and have never been given a job or kept
a job because I am blind.  I have had to compete with everyone else
and succeeded because I have the skills needed to perform the jobs.
That is true for everyone.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053