[blindkid] Braille instruction for 12 year old

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:54:40 UTC 2014

Hi Amber,

I agree with the suggestions about assessing reading speed, and
working on Braille math skills (including diagram reading) and
technology. The bottom line is her reading speed should be equal to a
sighted sixth-grader's.
However, I would caution against adding goals just to fill up time. If
she doesn't really need one-on-one instruction to be excelling in
school (not just keeping up but excelling) I think an unnecessary
pull-out at her age could have a cost to her social life and
self-esteem. I know age 12 is about when I started to get annoyed and
embarrassed when my TVI (or O&M or APE) would pull me out because it
made me feel more different and no preteen wants to stand out. The
absolute worst was when a special teacher would drop in on my classes
especially unannounced. Sometimes these feelings of embarrassment
could lead to defiance. Of course, there are times when a pull-out or
instruction in-class is necessary regardless of the embarrassment
factor, but I just think it needs to be a balance. Being pulled out of
electives could also affect her social life. Having one-on-one
instruction before or after school or during a study hall might be
ideal for cutting down the embarrassment potential.
Further, I think any direct instruction is just a beginning. Much of
her learning will come from independent practice, be it independent
reading to build speed, computer homework assignments etc. Ideally the
TVI would provide very basic instruction and then hold her accountable
to practice her skills on her own time. This approach is not only more
effective in her long-term learning, but also should require less
direct instruction time.

Best,
Arielle