[blindkid] {Disarmed} Fwd: The Family That Serves Together...

Darian Smith via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 16:55:09 UTC 2014

I saw this in my mailbox and thought this might be a good  resource of encouragement and inspiration  for those who might want  to involve  their families in community service.  Part of what will really get our youth in the mindset to contribute to addressing community issues later on is to do it now.  What better way to serve than with the family?

 Finally a quick shameless blug:  I look forward to seeing as many of you that can make it at our community service seminar at  National Convention on July 3. registration starts at 6:15 and though the official agenda starts at 7, we’ll have a pre-seminar service forum  that starts at about 6:25.

 in the meantime  enjoy the below!
   Warmly,
  Darian Smith

> [...]
>

> First in the Family: Advice About College from First-Gen Students
> WKCD's newly updated First in the Family website contains essential student-to-student advice, videos, planning checklists, a complete and annotated list of resources, and more for with students who seek to put and keep college in their sights. Also available are free e-book versions of First in the Family: Your High School Years, which helps high school students along the college path, and First in the Family: Your College Years, which speaks to those just entering college. http://bit.ly/1qGLpt5
> Teen Prescription Drug Abuse Prevention PEERx Educators Guide
> The PEERx Educators Guide provides a central listing of NIDA's teen prescription drug abuse resources. The guide includes descriptions and links to drug abuse facts, activity guide, blogs, videos, lesson plans, and infographics. Additionally, it includes examples of how state and local organizations have utilized these resources in their communities. http://1.usa.gov/1iQFpnP
>

> SERVICE CALENDARS
> CONFERENCES & EVENTS
>
> Conference on Volunteering and Service
> June 16-18, 2014 - Atlanta, GA
>
> Summer Service Learning Institute
> July 14-16, 2014 - Rensselaerville, NY
>
> More Powerful Together: The 26th Annual
> National Service-Learning Conference
> April 8-11, 2015 - Washington, DC
> SEASONS OF SERVICE
>
> May 2014
> Global Youth Traffic Safety Month - May
> National Foster Care Month - May
> Asian Pacific American Heritage Month - May
> National Preservation Month - May
> National Family Month - May 11-June 15 (Mother's Day-Father's Day)
> World Day of Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development - May 21
> National Missing Children's Day - May 25
> World No Tobacco Day - May 31
> SONG OF THE WEEK
> American Authors - "Best Day Of My Life" (Acoustic)
>

> "I had a dream so big and loud
> I jumped so high I touched the clouds
> But all the possibilities
> No limits, just epiphanies
> I'm never gonna look back, woah
> I'm never gonna give it up, no
> just don't wake me now
> I hear it calling outside my window
> I feel it in my soul."
>
> YSA FUNDING PARTNERS
>
> THE EDITOR
>
> Mike Minks
> Director of Development & Innovation
> Editor-in-Chief, National Service Briefing
> mminks at ysa.org
>

> Forward email
>
> This email was sent to ds94124 at aol.com by nsbinfo at ysa.org |
> Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.
> Youth Service America | 1101 15th Street NW | Suite 200 | Washington | DC | 20005

Darian Smith
Chairperson, Community Service Group -National Federation  of The Blind.
(415)215-9809
dsmithnfb at gmail.com
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

“
 "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve”
 - Albert Schweitzer.

 Your  unwanted vehicle can be  just what the blind need to make possibilities reality.