[blindkid] SAT Prep Class District Support?

Vejas via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 22:20:16 UTC 2014

  Hi All,
  I am a junior in high school & am taking the SAT in 3 weeks,
and to help me
get ready, I have opted to take an SAT Prep Class.
  - Our local VI program has chosen to view the SAT Prep Class as
"extracurricular" & as such is unwilling to provide me with
transcriber
support.
  I am wondering how you have approached such situations with
your high
schoolers.
  - How did your kids get Prep Class materials in an accessible
format?
  - Did the school or VI program help with the brailling of text
& embossing
of diagrams, or did they just do it verbally with your help or by
hiring a
readers (which clearly seems not ideal since then there is a lost
opportunity for hands on learning with the diagrams)?
  - Did you end up needing to find a non-district transcriber to
braille the
test and emboss the diagrams?
  I would really appreciate your input & look forward to any
insights or
suggestions you might have.
  Sincerely,
  Vejas