[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 121, Issue 26

Chantel Alberhasky via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 13:28:16 UTC 2014

> Parents have to walk a fine line between advocating for their child and
> burning their bridges. Anytime a parent demands and brings or threatens to
> bring legal action without going through the normal chains of commands

I am not sure what you mean by the "normal chains of commands" but I agree that parents should never threaten a school district.  If you don't follow through, then you will be viewed as a paper tiger.  If you do follow through, you probably showed your cards too soon.  I tell parents to protect their relationships with school district personnel, but you absolutely must advocate.  Many parents are concerned about not being liked or viewed as difficult, but parents can't allow that fear from preventing them from being an advocate.

> Totally blind students with no vision are always a priority because braille
> is their only choice for accessing material. Print readers who have a TVI
> who can provide adequate braille instruction is a luxury.

Every child has a right to FAPE.  Since IEPs are individualized, school districts can not legally deny FAPE based upon resources. I am aware many school districts try to do so,  but it is illegal and a school district can get into hot water.  In any event, the IDEA is clear that VI students are to be taught Braille.
  Students can not legally be denied Braille instruction simply because they have some vision.

> The topic of how much time to serve students was mentioned. Many TVI's use
> the Michigan Severity Rating Scale to decide service levels (amount of time
> per week) but it can be somewhat subjective.

If an IEP team is basing service minutes based upon anything except the goals in the IEP,  they are violating the IDEA.   Service minutes/levels should be determined based upon how much instruction is needed for the student to reach the goals in the IEP.    Goals drive service minutes not the other way around.  Never allow a TVI to discuss service minutes until the goals are written.   Often the school district will determine services then write low goals to match the low service minutes.

>Some of the
> best TVI's are parents with children who are visually impaired who have
> decided to go back to school and be a TVI. They are committed to their
> child despite the low pay and student loans that seem to linger forever.

And some parents go a different route.  They change their practice to special education law. :-)   But seriously, not becoming a TVI does not mean a parent is not committed to their child and their education.  In any event, parents can learn Braille and work with their child without going back to school to be a TVI.

Chantel L. Alberhasky, Esq

419 Boonville Avenue
Springfield, MO
 65806
417.865.4444

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel requires all Missouri attorneys
to notify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communication is not a
secure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or
by you may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as it
goes from me to you or vice versa, (3) persons not participating in our
communication may intercept our communications by improperly accessing
your computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to
either of us which the e-mail passed through. I am communicating to you via
e-mail because you have consented to receive communications via this
medium. If you change your mind and want future communications to be
sent in a different fashion, please let me know AT ONCE.