[blindkid] Adopting children with visual impairments

Charles Buggs via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Sat May 31 23:48:17 UTC 2014

Hi Carolyn,

My wife and I are both partially blind and adopted our oldest son from India in 2009.  He has the same eye condition as my wife and also had another undiagnosed minor eye condition that was corrected with surgery several months after we brought him home.

Unfortunately, organizations like UNICEF have successfully worked to close adoption programs in many countries, resulting in many children being left in orphanages.  The number of international adoptions has fallen 50% from the peak in 2004-2006.

There are still many children available for inter-country adoption, and adoption may be the best option for a bright future for many children.  However, many more children will never be adopted and for those kids support in the form of donations may be most appropriate.

Sent from my iPad