[blindkid] Question...

scduffley at aol.com scduffley at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 18:47:59 UTC 2014

How old is he?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernadette Jacobs via blindkid <blindkid at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Thu, Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm
Subject: [blindkid] Question...

Good afternoon Everyone:

I am usually either commenting on something here or I'm usually writing
offlist to give someone advice.  I'm in a funny position now...  This
time, I'm the one looking for an answer to a question...  Hmmm!!

Earlier in the week, someone was asking me about Christmas gifts for
Virginia and David.  As I thought about this, I suddenly discovered that
it's actually becoming harder to find something for David. Sure, every
kid needs at least one clothing item.  However, David is now getting
past the traditional toys for much younger children; toys that make
noise, music, and talk to you.  They're all fore much younger children.
I am now looking for something that will interest David; something he
can learn from; something that will provide him with
entertainment/recreation as well as something he can learn from We also
want whatever this is to be portable--something he can bring places with
him in a book bag in the van, and wherever he goes, where we might stay
overnight, or on vacation, perhaps.  I've been thinking about some sort
of radio, CD player, "Walkman."  Do they even make those anymore?
Somebody suggested a CD player.  I'm actually leaning toward an Ipod,
Ipad or something that I can fill up with music and something that has
voice-over in order to help him with his communication?  Pretty
expensive, however.

I've been on all the Wevbsites for "Autistic Kids;" toys, and all that
jhaz, only to find that all the things they have, sell, or whatever, are
for the "sighted" Autistic child, (as if Blind Autistic Children don't
exist???  They don't have a clue about our kids.

Anyone have other suggestions???

Bernie