[blindkid] Braces

Sarah Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:33:47 UTC 2015

My son is currently wearing braces.  He resisted because, being a teenage boy, he is sure that appearance doesn’t matter.  I told him that there are so many hurdles to overcome in life, why not just get those you can out of the way.  Get the braces, no need to worry about prejudice about crooked teeth.  He had to have wisdom teeth removed so all the required tooth removal could be done at one time.  He is still indifferent about the process and we’ll never know if straight teeth make any significant difference in his life but I think it is worth it.  One thing less to judge someone on.  We also require him (and his sighted sister) to sit up straight, look at people when you are speaking to them, eat neatly, have manners, etc.  None of these things is specifically required in life but putting one’s best foot forward can’t hurt.

Cheers,

Sally Thomas