[blindkid] Stand Alone Braille Display for Academics

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 24 13:59:41 UTC 2015

Hello:

     My view of a braille display is that it gives me access to the printed
word in the same way a screen gives access for the sighted. Sighted people
don't listen to their PCs talk to get work done, why should blind people? A
braille display gives rapid access to the form of the printed word. A reader
can see the punctuation much more easily than can be done with speech. If a
student is going to do math or science seeing the numbers is very important.
For computer classes, a braille display is a must.
If you want to read NLS braille files, a 40 cell display is best.

Regards,

Robert

P. S.
    I use JAWS with an 80 cell display.