[blindkid] Readers in Middle & High School

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 24 18:55:29 UTC 2015

Dr. V.

You will probably learn that most blind students used parents as readers. I
think it’s a good idea to have your kids learn to use other readers though
so they will be in charge and have to direct them. Even though you will try
not to, you as a parent, will probably take over the situation.

It will be a battle for funding though.

I forgot about the rate.
The going rate for readers is 10-12  dollars an hour.
You can round to the half hour which is 5 dollars or a quarter hour which is
2.50 using the ten dollar rate.
I recommend having readers fill out a time sheet which can be paper based or
on a pc using excel.
I suggest paying them bi weekly or monthly but if they want more frequency,
pay at the end of the session.
Agree on  when you will pay them and stick to this.
That's another consideration. Your kids do not have checking accounts, I
assume.
So, you will need to write the checks to them on his behalf.

I've had readers ask for more, but I try hard to find people who accept my
rate so as not to get too expensive for me.
I've had people ask for 15 or 20 dollars as well because they said that is
what tutoring companies paid.
Because they are simply reading to me, I believe the 10-12 range is very
reasonable.

HTH,
Ashley