[blindkid] Help needed - Sending Braille children's books to Guatemalan family

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:07:01 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I've been corresponding with a mom who lives in Guatemala with her
five-year-old blind daughter. In Guatemala there are few Braille
resources and most blind kids are automatically sent to schools for
the blind. Through a tremendous amount of advocacy this mother has
enrolled her daughter in mainstream kindergarten. However, Mom is
responsible for providing all her daughter's Braille and modifying the
curriculum so daughter can fully participate.
A couple years ago this list led me to a generous individual who
donated a Perkins Brailler directly to the family. They also have a
Braille labeler. The child has learned the dot combinations for many
letters but has not gotten much real experience reading or writing
Braille yet. I would really love to send them some Braille books. But
I have a few questions:
1. What are some good resources for ordering kid's books in Spanish Braille?
2. Can Seedlings send orders outside the USA (i.e. to Guatemala)? Or
are there other stores where I can order books online and have them
sent to Guatemala, or links I can send Mom to order books directly?
3. Anyone have children's books they'd be willing to donate?
4. Can NFB canes be sent to Guatemala? I know they probably wouldn't
be free, but that's fine.

Thanks for any help!
Best, Arielle