[blindkid] Volunteers Needed for Useful New Blindness App

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:03:08 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I am writing to spread the word about Be My Eyes, a newly-released iOS app
designed to connect blind users with a network of sighted volunteers who are
willing to assist us with tasks which require sighted assistance, e.g.
object identification and reading information such as that provided on
prescription labels. This free app uses a video chat software with which a
blind person can enter a request for help, a sighted user can respond to the
request, and a video chat can be initiated which allows both users to
interact to ensure that the best information possible is obtained. In the
short time this app has been on the App Store, its network has spread beyond
its native Denmark to a worldwide community with over 7000 blind users and
80,000 sighted volunteers. However, as more blind Americans learn about the
app and download it, the lack of American volunteers often leaves blind
users without someone with whom to connect.

For this reason, I am asking those receiving this message who are sighted to
give back to the blind community by downloading the app and becoming a
volunteer. There is no commitment involved and nothing which binds you to a
certain responsibility. You need only sign up as a sighted user after
downloading the free app from the iOS App Store. When a request is submitted
by a blind user, you will get a notification asking if you are available to
accept it. If you have time, you can accept; if not, you are welcome to
reject it. The request will then move on to the next volunteer. Please also
encourage your friends and family to download the app and build the network.
More information about the app and how to get involved can be found at:
http://www.bemyeyes.org.

As a blind person, I can personally attest to the occasional need for
sighted help, blindness skills notwithstanding. It can be frustrating at
times when a pair of eyes is needed for something but none is available.
This is a free, easy and non-time-consuming way to provide very useful help
to the blind when we need it. If enough sighted people from around the world
become a part of the Be My Eyes network, we could forever eradicate the
inconvenience which comes when needed sighted assistance is unavailable.
Please consider becoming a part of this growing community by downloading the
app to your iPhone and following the simple steps required to create an
account. If you have any questions about this app and your involvement in
it, please feel free to contact me. Thank you in advance for your support.

Chris

Chris Nusbaum, Vice President

Maryland Association of Blind Students

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com

Twitter: @Chrisn98 and @NFBMD

expectations for blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
blindness is not what holds you back.