[blindkid] Back-toSchool Preparation

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Jun 11 13:49:07 UTC 2015

For us this summer, it will be all about braille for our five year old. She
can write braille reasonably well at this point, but is having a very hard
time reading it. I am extremely hopeful that working with her this summer
every day, and having her attend an NFB BELL program will help launch her
into kindergarten as a much better braille reader. I was able to borrow a
set of books in order to work with her, but I'm hoping to put more braille
around our house--we just moved, so the braille we had at our old house
needs to be recreated here. It is great because our library has a summer
reading program--actually our public library and our library for the blind
both have programs. At oriana's age, "literacy activities" of any kind count
toward summer reading time, which translates into a T-Shirt and, eventually
if you read/participate in literacy activities long enough, tickets to our
local aquarium. She is excited about this program, so I am hoping this will
help keep her motivated to work on her braille. I clearly remember reading
incentive programs when I was younger, and they were a fantastic way to
motivate me to read, which was not always my favorite activity growing up.
I think the biggest thing is to really try to keep the learning fun, and try
to squeeze it in where you can. Car or bus rides are good places to read, or
even quiz a beginning braille learner on what dots make up each braille
letter. You can make a braille twister board and have fun creating braille
letters with your body. For older kids, maybe giving them computer practice
by journaling about what they are doing over the summer would be a good way
to keep those skills sharp.
I hope some of this is helpful.
Melissa