[blindkid] {Disarmed} FW: [Blindhomeschooler] Geometry

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed Mar 11 15:32:05 UTC 2015

From: Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com [mailto:Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:54 PM
To: Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Blindhomeschooler] Geometry

Hello, everyone,

I teach math classes to homeschool students.  My students are all sighted, but a few summers ago I had a chance to work with a young man named Timothy who was completely blind.  We were working on high school level Geometry, and I was making audio lessons to go along with some tactile graphics that he had.  It seemed to go pretty well, although I did not have the time to create nearly as many lessons as I would have liked.  We made it into chapter two, and then summer ended and Timothy needed to find another teacher who could meet more regularly.

In the years since then, I have continued to receive emails from this group and sometimes I have a chance to read some of the stories and the discussion here, and have often thought about revisiting that project and creating some more Geometry lessons.  I have not talked with Timothy in a while and he has probably moved on to other things, but I do wonder if other people might find such lessons useful, so I'm writing now just to inquire.

Right now I'm simply thinking about this.  If I do revisit this project, it could take quite a bit of time and effort, and I would not want to do it if there were no need for it, or if ample resources and course materials already existed that I'm simply not aware of.  Can any of you say how much need there is for high school math, geometry in particular, for blind students in an audio and tactile format?

Thanks,

Derek Owens

  _____

Posted by: derek_owens at lucideducation.com <mailto:derek_owens at lucideducation.com>