[blindkid] Braces

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Mar 31 18:30:02 UTC 2015

Julie, this is a totally personal story so keep that in mind.  I had
very crooked teeth and could not have braces because we could not
afford them.  I have been blind since birth and attended a school for
the blind for 2 years, from 14 to 16.  I was teased about my teeth at
that school.  As an adult, in my 50s, after my 3 boys had braces, I
could finally afford to have braces.  Guess what I did.  I went for it
because I wanted straight teeth. I hope you would want your sighted
child to have braces if that would improve her smile.  People who are
blind want to be attractive to others just like sighted people.  She
is nervous and afraid right now and that is normal.  Sometimes you
have to make a decision for your children.  I think this is one of
those times.  Yes, it will hurt and she may get mad at you several
times through the process but don't treat her any differently than you
would treat your sighted child.  We live in a sighted world and
straight teeth are important in our culture in 2014.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053