[blindkid] Incorporating the Expanded Core Curriculum into thelives of visually impaired children at home

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun May 17 16:05:07 UTC 2015

I agree with all that you have said here.  I have observed that, in
general, educators want all parents to turn their children over to the
education system and go on about their business.  I do believe we need
to help parents of blind children learn how to teach those ECC skills.
I agree that this is a static document based on the National Agenda.
How do we get parents involved in learning to work with their blind
children? I do believe the team needs to work together to help each
blind student.

I have worked in BELL for 2 years and we have a very bright student
who is a joy to work with.  She will be back this summer, and I
believe she is going into 3rd grade. The family, unfortunately, are so
afraid that she will burn herself on the stove they won't even let her
in the kitchen when they are preparing foods.  Last year we had 2
cooking projects and she was terrified of the stove.  The even more
interesting thing was that none of the blind volunteers thought
working with a blind child in the kitchen was a good idea.  One of
them said, "I didn't even let my sighted children in the kitchen at
this age." By the way, the adults are all active members of NFB whose
names you may recognize.  I am also blind and had my sighted children
in the kitchen with me when they were old enough to pay attention to
my directions.  We pulled chairs up to the counter so they could help
me dump things in bowls, "stir" with me and other beginning tasks.