[blindkid] Why braille for people with low vision

Allison Hilliker AllisonH at benetech.org
Mon Nov 30 22:00:11 UTC 2015

I hear you, Traci. I know of so many cases like the one you've described. There are many reasons for why Braille isn't more widely taught, and I've spent my adult life exploring them. Even so, I have yet to find a good solution for improving the situation. ,Many blind kids, especially kids with partial sight, are still not being taught Braille. Writing this article was one more attempt on my part to improve things just a little. I don't know if it helps much, but I guess if all of us keep chipping away at this, doing what we can when we can do it, maybe it matters overall.

NFB and NOPBC members helped my family get Braille instruction for me when I was a kid, and that definitely mattered. I'm thankful for it. If I could figure out how to give that gift to more families, I would. In the meantime, I hope folks enjoyed the article.

Best,
Allison