[blindkid] Windows 10 upgrade

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jul 29 21:01:11 UTC 2016

Microsoft has extended the free upgrade time for people using assistive technology.  I suspect they are thinking that allowing us to wait until Edge is accessible is the fair thing to do.

You can read about this at

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2016/07/01/making-progress-on-accessibility-with-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Having said that, I have upgraded two computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no major problems.  As I understand it, though, you need to have JAWS 16 and it might go smoother with JAWS 17.  When the upgrade completes, Jaws may run but you could get a video error that requires you to simply run the latest installation file again.  Older versions of JAWS will need to be uninstalled.  It isn't always easy to tell when the upgrade is done and you may not get speech automatically.  However, you can turn on Windows Narrator with WINDOWS Key and ENTER.  If you only see the narrator screen and the narrator help screen, the upgrade is still running.  It can take an hour or two to finish.

In addition, there are differences with Windows 10.  For example, Windows Explorer  becomes File Explorer, and files and folders are arranged differently.  Still I am finding everything I want.

Finally, there may be a few cases where older hardware won't run.  If you have an old pringer or scanner, you may want to try to establish if it will work with Windows 10 or not.  I gather that if you are moving from Windows 8 to Windows 10 that this should not be an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  Remember, even if I had good luck, there is always the chance of trouble, so back up important files and only do the upgrade when you have time to do it.  However, you don't have to rush to do it today.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson