[blindkid] Mac Books?

Bill Dengler codeofdusk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:00:02 UTC 2016

I use a MacBook Pro every day in my 11th grade classes. I use the following applications:
Pages (for writing documents in Word format, but note you must file>export>word, if you use the normal save facility it will save to .pages format).
Biword (for writing notes and simple rich documents in Markdown). Markdown is extremely efficient because you can format completely in plain text, no need to hunt around for things in menus!
Some combination of quickTIme player, Audio Hijack and Amadeus Pro (for recording classes). Honestly you could just get by with quickTime, but Amadeus is good because you can record in ogg format (very space-efficient compared to mp3 and m4a).
TeXShop (included in the MacTeX distribution, for writing mathematical documents in LaTeX). If your students will be doing mathematics, typing in an unambiguous, standard notation that can easily be converted to PDF format for teachers is key! Plus, writing in "calculator notation" becomes inefficient after around Algebra II (I know from personal experience). Learning LaTeX is absolutely worthwhile.
Mail (for communicating with teachers and sending assignments). Fully accessible with VOiceOver.
I am not a Braille user, so cannot report on how it works with the Mac.

Hope this helps,
Bill

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/